Sunday, July 02, 2017

Vegan Pupusas

This blog's subtitle refers to our neighborhood, Mission Terrace, in which you'll find lots of wonderful Mexican and Salvadorean restaurants--and more than a few that serve food from both cuisines. If you have masa on hand, you can make both tortillas and their Mexican cousin, pupusas--a nice, fluffy pancake stuffed with nice filling. Our neighbors on Mission Street make theirs with dairy cheese, so I decided to try my hand at my own version and stuff mine with cashew cheese. I made two varieties: cheese and beans and cheese and loroco (a green bud sold at Mexican supermarkets and grocery stores.) Both came out delicious.

My technique is still pretty shoddy, but even the failures are tasty. For a real expert's guide, I give you Lupita.



How to make the vegan fillings? I used my soft cashew cheese and mixed some with beans and some with loroco, in lieu of the fillings Lupita uses. Note that it's easiest to maintain the consistency of the pupusa if the masa and the filling have roughly the same consistency. Buen Provecho!

No comments: